Work With Us
Our Welcomers are the first point of contact for our visitors. They provide a warm greeting to visitors, as well as supplying information and day-to-day service schedules to guests.
Welcomers are the first point of contact between Bristol Cathedral and its visitors. They are stationed at the Welcome Area inside the main entrance, and welcome visitors.
Bristol Cathedral aims to have one or more Welcomer volunteering between 10am and 4pm Monday to Saturday, and 11am to 3pm on Sundays.
Welcomers can choose to work from 10am-4pm or can opt for an AM shift: 10am-1pm, or PM shift: 1pm-4pm.
The rota is flexible, and Welcomers are not expected to be able to volunteer the same day and length of time per week/month.
The main duty of a Welcomer is providing a warm greeting to visitors, as well as supplying information and day-to-day service schedules to guests. Other responsibilities include:
- Setting up and closing down the Welcome Area as outlined in the Welcomers’ Opening Guide.
- Encouraging visitors to make a donation to the Cathedral.
- Keeping the Welcome Area, particularly the desk, tidy and presentable.
- Replenishing leaflets, including What’s On guides, international language leaflets, and the recital schedule, throughout the day.
- Letting Jess know when the shop and leaflet stock is running low.
- Responding appropriately to health and safety issues, e.g., reporting near misses to the on-duty Verger, standing outside the exit during a fire evacuation to stop visitors re-entering the building, etc.
- Operating a simple iPad and card machine setup to sell shop stock.