Bristol Cathedral has a duty of care to all the children and vulnerable adults who engage with our life and work. That includes the children who sing in our choir, help in our services, use our Sunday school groups, or just visit. We take the responsiblity very seriously and work closely with our partners to ensure that there is a safe and secure culture within the Cathedral.
- The Diocese of Bristol is responsible for the protection of children and vulnerable adults across the Diocese, and is responsible for the delivery of the safeguarding policies that are adopted by the national church. The Diocese and the Cathedral have a service level agreement in place for safguarding. The Cathedral policy can be downloaded here. The policy includes a notification procedure. Any allegations and issues are managed in concert with the Diocesan safeguarding advisor and the School. We have a Safeguarding committee that meets quarterly and which includes the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor, the Nominated person (see below) and representatives from Bristol Cathedral Choir School. Click here for the school's policy.
- The Cathedral runs Disclosure and Barring Service checks on both our volunteers and paid staff. Checks are carried out on both new people who come to join us and updated for existing workers when required. We are regularly advised by the Diocese about changes to the DBS rules and system and we make any changes required on an on-going basis.
- We work very closely with the Bristol Cathedral Choir School on safeguarding issues.
- Our new staff have a formal induction and safeguarding training. We also have CCTV and other security systems in place which help us manage the building safely.
- We have a nominated person to whom children can speak if there are any problems.
For more information on the Diocesan role in safeguarding click here. For helplines and support groups click here. For help and support on domestic abuse see Next Link.
For the Church of England's national policy statement 'Promoting a safer church' click here. For national church guidance, and information on safeguarding click here.