The Cathedral

Eastern Lady Chapel

The building of the eastern Lady Chapel began in 1298 and was part of a rebuild of the eastern half of the original Norman church.  The paintwork dates from 1935, but may well reflect the rich colour schemes of the original medieval building. The east window has been restored but contains a spectacular display of heraldry in fourteenth-century stained glass, including the arms of Lord Berkeley.  The arms can also be seen on the reredos, along with the badges of the Clare family and the Royal Arms of England. Three medieval abbots are buried in the star shaped niches; Walter Newbury, William Hunt and John de Newland.  Paul Bush, the first Bishop of Bristol, lies nearby, depicted as a corpse.  The two candlesticks were given in 1712 in thanks for the safe return of the ships The Duke and The Duchess which had sailed from Bristol and voyaged around the world. 

This Chapel is used for services, as well as small concerts and lectures.

  • The Nave
  • Elder Lady Chapel
  • The Choir
  • South Transept
  • North Transept
  • Nave Altar
  • High Altar
  • Berkeley Chapel
  • Eastern Lady Chapel
  • Chapter House
  • South Choir Aisle