Being a chorister offers unique opportunities:
- To take part in an unbroken musical tradition stretching from the 12th century to the present day
- To receive a musical education second to none
- To learn the skill of team work – working with adults as equals
We are looking for children who:
- Show potential rather than polished performance at the outset
- Have enthusiasm and want to succeed
- Have the strength of character to take on commitment
- Are able to work as part of a team
- Have a supportive family
To become a member of the choir your son or daughter will have a musical audition with the Master of the Choristers & Organist when they are in Year 4. Successful probationers join the Cathedral Choir when they are in year 5 and will be expected to be admitted to BCCS when they reach Year 7. Please contact Bristol Cathedral Choir School for full information regarding Academy entrance procedures. The Master of the Choristers & Organist is happy to see prospective probationers and their parents at any time, for an informal assessment, or to answer any questions.
Once a child joins the choir, the commitment is as follows:
- The boy and girl choristers share 6 services a week equally between them.
- Choristers benefit from every other weekend being free.
- There are rehearsals every morning before school from 8.15am, plus a rehearsal before every evensong.
- At weekends, there are rehearsals before every service.
Whilst in the Cathedral Choir choristers receive financial incentives based upon seniority in the Choir.
For an information pack on Becoming a Chorister, please contact the Music Administrator.
Lay Clerks and Choral Scholars
Bristol Cathedral employs both professional Lay Clerks and Choral Scholars. There are six Lay Clerks at any one time - usually two altos, two tenors and two basses. There are also four Choral Scholars.
We currently have a vacancy for a Bass Choral Scholar. If you are interested in this opportunity to sing with the Choir you can find out more information here, or you can contact the Master of the Choristers & Organist.
Bristol Cathedral also employs a Sub-organist and Junior Organ Scholar, in conjunction with Clifton College, sponsored through the David Wilcocks Organ Scholarship.